Sunday, November 8, 2009

Looking forward to spring already

Last year, I bought bulbs to plant and then promptly didn't plant them. They stayed in the hall closet all winter. In the spring I got around to thinking maybe I should plant them and see what happened. I know bulbs need to freeze, but why not give it a shot? After all, if they didn't grow, that would be the same outcome as if I didn't plant them at all. I had a mix of red tulips and grape hyacinths. The tulips didn't grow. The grape hyacinths looked, well, rather sad. See below:

IMG_2988

IMG_2992

After I'd planted them someone told me that if you don't get them in ground in the fall, you can put bulbs in the freezer for the winter. Hah! Wish I'd known that!

So yesterday, Josh and I were doing some errands and bought a bunch of bulbs for 50% off. I even bought a bulb planter, which is a Cool Garden Tool.


So today I planted lots of bulbs. We bought early, mid and late spring blooming tulips and hyacinths. I can't wait to see little sprouts of green! Wish me luck in my latest garden experiment!


1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Someday I will ask you for advice on this sort of thing. Someday when I have a good space for a garden. (Though I will probably still be incompetent at plants, because that is how I roll.)

    ReplyDelete