I think the mango is toast. I have now planted it and it doesn't seem to be growing. Sad sad! The seed was growing like gangbusters and now it just looks pathetic. However, the seed/roots seem to still be rather sturdy in the dirt as in they don't pull out easily, and when I feel the roots they feel fleshy and alive. So, I'm not giving up! I watered the heck out of it, and moved it to a warmer location and we'll see what happens. I think the problem now is that there are no warm sunny spots in my home and mangos like heat. Being tropical plants and all. We live in a north/south facing townhouse with no windows on the east and west sides and awnings/decks over most of the windows we do have. We live in a cave.
The good news is that the pineapple is doing fabulously!

It started like that - I chopped off the top of a pineapple, made sure no fruit was left and pulled off the bottom leaves. Submerged in water for a few months, it grew lots of rootlets!

(In that picture you can also see my FIRST failed mango) See rootlets? Then I planted it.

And while I currently don't have a picture of the plant, it's doing incredibly well. It was the one houseplant that I left in direct sunlight all summer long and it
loved it. I was a little nervous that once it got cold and I brought it inside that it wouldn't be happy, but to my delight, it's a hardy little guy and seems to like it's spot in the living room just fine. Yippie!
No comments:
Post a Comment